Cyle O’Donnell 2017 Resume
- Career journalism & media arts professional; author, photographer, filmmaker & lecturer.
- Master of Fine Arts, Intermedia, with a focus on multi-platform media and film.
- Master of Science in International Communications & Arts Education.
- Cum Laude graduate Indiana University School of Journalism; understudies in interdisciplinary environmental science.
- Award-winning photojournalist & international producer/director with 14 feature length and dozens of commercial short film credits.
- International exhibitions; instructor & educational consultant in visual arts workshops & multimedia.
- Published 6-volume research series of image-driven print books as well as multimedia in e-book formats.
- In-country documentary research in 40 nations on five continents for production in print & multimedia.
- Proficient in wide variety of photographic genres including documentary, commercial & photojournalism.
- Instructed in media ethics & the sciences with heavy concentration in artistic & technical writing.
- Film credits include Director, Producer, Director of Photography & Editor.
- Widely published journalist with five years experience working for local, national & international dailies.
- Prefer environments with multiplicity, embracing of all forms of diversity sans religious or political agenda.
MFA Intermedia, University of Maine, Orono, May, 2016 Top of class
M.S. Multidisciplinary Communications, State Univ. NY, Dec 2011 GPA: 3.27
B.A. Interdisciplinary Environmental Studies, IU, May 2008 GPA: 3.3 Cum Laude
B.A. Journalism, Indiana University, May 2008 GPA: 3.3 Cum Laude
EXPERIENCE IN MULTIMEDIA ARTS & INSTRUCTION
Assistant Professor, American University in Bulgaria, fall, 2016 to spring, 2017
- Instruction of full time curriculum in multimedia and journalism applications and theory.
- Courses included Multimedia Journalism, Video Journalism, Documentary Filmmaking, The History of Documentary Filmmaking and Photojournalism Reporting.
- Club Adviser for the Wave AUBG Documentary Club, InFocus Photography Club and Independent Studies for multimedia projects.
- Extracurricular: directed multiple students on-location for a feature length documentary in the Republic of Georgia, as well as a short documentary on the refugee crisis in Bulgaria.
- Weekend and out-of-class workshops in photography and audio-visual production.
Adjunct Professor, University of Maine, Orono, Maine, August, 2014 to May, 2016
- Instruction of Communications, Mass Comm & Journalism (CMJ) program classes in Photography, Reporting & Storytelling, as well as Communications & Media.
- Online Media Production and New Media courses for both Undergraduates and Graduate students.
Multimedia & Science Instructor, Kanlayanee Si Thammarat School, Thailand, November, 2013 to June, 2014
- Instruction of two sections of middle school science and three sections of high school language arts.
- Chair photo/video production club, produce school-wide multimedia-rich online newspaper.
Instructor, Communication Studies, FELDA College, Bahau, Malaysia, December 2012 to November 2013
- Instruction of college level visual communications studies and held workshops and exhibitions.
- Courses include photography and videography for journalism and online media production.
- Local and international photography and filming junkets throughout Malaysia, Singapore, Borneo & Brunei Darussalam.
(Employment gap: Spring semester of film workshop instruction, along with filming short advocacy documentaries for various international NGOs throughout Maine & Central America, Jan 2012 – Aug 2012)
Instructor, Bright Futures, Int’l / Rangsit University, Thailand, fall, 2009 to fall, 2011
- Instruction in independent core & supplemental designs of visual communication.
- Development of independent curricula for workflow, composition elements in production, editing & presentation of visual media. Emphasis on student-constructed education & project creation.
Instructor, Communications Studies, Taichung American School, Taiwan, fall semester, 2011
- As a long term substitute, conducted a paperless classroom delivered entirely over electronic medium.
- Students learned through their own media production within a multimedia-rich class blog.
- Topics covered investigative reporting, writing and editing as well as interviewing; website construction; podcasting; video production; journalistic and artistic writing; live broadcast and event coverage.
Adjunct Professor, University of Alaska Anchorage, Environmental Studies, fall 2008 to fall 2009
- Created & taught curricula on Environmental & OSH criteria for classroom courses.
- Topics included environmental reporting; health, operational & safety regulations reporting; site characterization; environmental processes & remediation; & permitting.
Photographer: Various National and International Newspapers, February 2005 to June, 2009
- Coverage of spot, community & feature stories for the Courier Journal, Louisville, KY, 2006 – 2008.
- Contract photographer, Tico Times & Nica Times, San Jose, Costa Rica, spring, 2005 & summer, 2006.
- News and community events coverage, New Albany Tribune & Jeffersonville Evening News, Southern Indiana, May 2006 – May 2008.
- Creation of photo-essays, human interest stories & a broad spectrum of visual storytelling for the Anchorage Daily News, Anchorage, AK, summer 2008 – fall, 2009.
Owner/Producer: Moving Stills Media, July, 2005 to present
- Online marketing campaign management, social media & SEO.
- Cataloguing of visual media including an image library carrying more than 120,000 images in 40 countries.
- Published 10 Moving Stills books in a global series on int’l research & communications.
- Film & video campaigns on Blip, YouTube & Vimeo with more than 1,000,000 unique views.
- Production of a growing number of feature length documentary films covering nearly a dozen countries.
- Production of more than 20 short commercial videos in multiple applications in seven countries.
HONORS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- March, 2014 Certificate of Completion: Knight Center for Journalism in the Americas Course, Social Media for Journalists
- July, 2013 City & Guilds Award: Certificate in Language Arts / Communication Instruction
- 2013 Photographic distribution in National Geographic Asia, Digital Photography Review, JPG Magazine & others
- 2012 Photographic distribution in Taipei Times
- 2009 – 2011 Wide variety of photography published in Bangkok Post’s King’s Cup Magazine
- January, 2012, The Independent Blogger Award
- May, 2012, First Place JPG Magazine photography competition
- October, 2011, The Versatile Blogger Award
- July, 2011, Indiana Clark State Forest Annual Photography Contest Judge
- October, 2010, The Independent Blogger Award
- October, 2010, Honorary Mention, Digital Photography Review International Photography Contest
- August, 2008, First Place Collegiate News Photography, Society of Professional Journalists, Louisville Chapter
- May, 2008 Honorary Photographer, Falls of the Ohio Archaeological Society
- May, 2008, Honorary Photographer, Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Clark State Forest Annual Photography Contest Judge
- 2006-2008 Award for Outstanding Photography in Journalism, The New Albany, Tribune
- 2006-2008 Award for Best Contributing Photographer, The Jeffersonville Evening News
- July, 2007, Honorary Photographer, Falls of the Ohio Archaeological Society
IMDB Profile Page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5607989/
Workshop lectures at the University of Maine: http://imrccenter.com/author/cyle/
Self-published titles: http://www.blurb.com/b/4334371-portraits-from-the-pavement
Various National Geographic photography: http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/202731/
Travel Geek Blog and Magazine: https://cyleodonnell.wordpress.com/
U.S. Navy, 1997 to 1999 Fire Controlman Honorable Discharge